Thursday, August 13, 2009

Going Through My Bookshelf


Over at NPR, author Lesley Blume has developed a "classic list of must-read children's books." While I applaud all of her choices (The Witches! From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler!), I have to add a few of my own:

  • Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery: Okay, I may love Anne because she's a redheaded bookworm, but her feistiness, awkwardness, and imagination will warm your heart. And just try not to cry at something involving Matthew. Just try.
  • Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh: Because Harriet isn't exactly a nice little girl. She's curious and a little bitchy, but she's eighty times cooler than anyone else in her class. I bet she grew up to do something really kick-ass.
  • A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle: Her most well-known, and possibly her most endearing. Between Meg, Calvin, and Charles-Wallace, you know the universe is worth saving.
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry: Oh geez, I freak out about this book. Best freakin' book ever. It's one of the most thoughtful, moving portrayals of a dystopian society ever written. Period.
  • The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton: More than forty years later and Ponyboy's thoughts and struggles are still relevant. Stay gold, Pony.
  • The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi: Charlotte Doyle puts the kick in kick-ass. A thrilling tale set on the high seas. What more could you want?
I could keep going, but instead I'll leave it to you. Post your favorite childhood reads in the comments!

5 comments:

Andy S said...

The Phantom Tollbooth
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Where the Sidewalk Ends (actually poetry...but still, must read)

The Dalai Lama's Nails said...

also:
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
- Bridge to Terabithia
- Tuck Everlasting
- Where the Red Fern Grows
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- Matilda or BFG (er... both)
- Heidi
- Ender's Game
- Indian in the Cupboard
- Golden Compass

Neezie said...

The Giving Tree
Shiloh
Sophie's World

there was also that series with the mice... what the hell was that called!? I loved that in 6th grade...

Emily Hodge said...

Annie, I enthusiastically second all of your additions! I was more attached to A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle though. Also, I read Charlotte Doyle probably 200 times without exaggeration.

M and M said...

Ah, I'm surprised how many of those I've read. "True Confessions..." - haven't thought of that book in a LONG time! And "The Giver" is always in the back of my mind...speaking of that, I think I need to reread it.