Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fashion Icons


Despite what America's Next Top Model may say, I don't think models are integral to making me buy a product. Companies have also caught onto this. They know we don't trust some random model; we trust those people who come into our home every week, the people we read about, the people we make a point of going to see.

Celebrities.


It was a good plan. In seventh grade, when Sarah Michelle Gellar was the star of a few Maybelline commercials, I thought, "Yes! I want to look like Buffy!" Because I saw her every week, I thought this would be a good way to emulate her.


But since then, I've wised up, along with everyone else. Companies can't just slap a celebrity in a commercial and expect to stand out. Will Arnett and Amy Poehler making funny faces in Gap sweaters? That works. I can see them doing that at home. Madonna trying to rap in Gap jeans? I'm sure that's what she and Guy do all the time.


It's not a surprise to see a celebrity selling something. Anne Hathaway in a perfume ad? Of course. Josh Holloway with cologne? Why not? (Although he still has some of that Sawyer attitude which makes me think he doesn't really want to smell like anything except his own sweat.) But when companies pick just the right celebrity, that campaign stands out.




They're lovable. They aren't in eighteen different ad campaigns. They look so daper! I don't care what they're selling; I will buy it.






It's a new generation of ad campaigns. I don't trust Madonna in Gap clothes, but I do trust Wallace and Gromit. They've survived a wererabbit. Obviously they're not going to sell out to whatever company wants them.



That's not to say I want to see Ariel and Belle in H&M. But it's a new idea for grabbing attention, and I tip my hat to the creators.


(Mostly, I just want to see Wallace and Gromit all the time. More of them, less heiresses.)

0 comments: