Thursday, February 5, 2009

Get Jittery


I love coffee. I always have. I started drinking decaf when I was about five--and never with sugar. For a while I thought I wasn't addicted, but last year I realized that if I went a day or two without coffee, I really missed it. By three in the afternoon I'd break down and get a cup. With the first sip I'd sigh and say, "Oh coffee, how I've missed you."

It's a tiny addiction, really.

Nowadays, a lot of people want to get the most out of their coffee for their money. I've never liked Starbucks coffee. Their coffee drinks--great. (Pass me that mocha.) Their stand-alone coffee--not so good. And apparently taste-testers agree. Their choice for the best ground coffee was Eight O'Clock Colombian. Plus, it costs less than most ground brands. Most of the boutique brands (like Peet's) were ranked as just "okay," if that. So it's probably worth your money to just make your coffee at home. Maybe you can even learn how to mix a coffeehouse-style mocha.

If you're brewing at home, a good coffeemaker will help, as will grinding your own beans. My own tip is also to start with cold, filtered water.

0 comments: