Monday, July 6, 2009

Catholic Guilt Meets Home Design


I'm not sure I'd want to live in an old church myself, but I love seeing how people convert (hehehe) them into livable spaces. For example, this former-church-now-home in Kyloe, Northumberland, UK:

"A couple decided to purchase and readapt the structure, investing nearly three times the purchase price into renovations over the course of several years. The exterior remains mostly untouched, save for skylights running the length of the roof. Inside, the owners took a similar approach. Restoration is more prevalent than renovation, with original stained glass windows throughout, and repurposed church fixtures abounding. Much of the original seating in the church was refinished and placed throughout the home, and unused wood and building materials were fashioned into a dramatic staircase leading from the main living space to an upper level library."


I love what they've done, especially how they've used the cathedral angles and stained glass. It all looks very serene, which is in keeping with the 'church' vibe. But despite how gorgeous this home is, I'm still not sure I'd want to live there. I think I'd end up feeling like I couldn't swear or make inappropriate jokes or kiss or wear shorts or do anything else non-holy. Maybe I could move into a converted synagogue instead?

0 comments: