Thursday, July 9, 2009

Makes You Want to Clean Your Room


Every so often, I get that inclination to purge my stuff. I'll throw out old papers I've been hanging onto, donate clothes I don't really wear, and vacuum away dust bunnies. It's a good feeling. I don't tend to miss the things I get rid of, so I don't feel very sentimental about tossing all of it. But some people are serious hoarders. They can't get rid of things because of the 'emotional value,' or they're afraid they might suddenly need something and not have it anymore.

Chinese artist Song Dong's mother was one of those people. Now, at the Museum of Modern art, Song Dong has created an exhibit that displays and organizes his mother's fifty-year-old collection--everything from toothpaste tubes to shoes to old tv sets.

From MoMa:

"A collaboration first conceived of with the artist's mother, the installation consists of the complete contents of her home, amassed over fifty years during which the Chinese concept of wu jin qi yong, or "waste not," was a prerequisite for survival."


You could say, "How is that art?" but I think the exhibit sounds fascinating--someone's personal junk made public.

The exhibit is around until September 7. Anyone want to go?

1 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh my gosh, I need to do that with my mom's stuff. She is the packiest pack rat there ever was, and I swear, every time I come home there is more stuff. One day I will turn it into an art exhibit!