Thursday, April 9, 2009

And?


Oh my lord, I love the Ampersand Book. I mean, I love the ampersand in general, but artist Andy Mangold has taken it to the next level by creating a book based on the ampersand (&) in various fonts.

Punctuationgasm!

From Mangold's website:

"I went through all 900+ fonts on my computer and selected what I find to be some of the most interesting, beautiful, or historically significant ampersands. Paired with their designer and in chronological order, all the way from Bembo in 1495 to Jos Buivenga’s FREE Delicious, designed just last year. They were transferred from laser prints with wintergreen oil onto tan Rives BFK, and bound accordion fold style with some sourced leather covers (I hope to write an article about sourcing leather soon)."


What a fantastic idea. I love book binding/producing/designing in general, so this project is right up my alley. Check out Andy's website and other works, too. Apparently he's studying at the Maryland Institute College of Art and is twenty years-old. Maybe before he gets super famous I can buy something of his. (As much as I love the college-y art posters on my walls, I guess adults need to move on from 'Starry Night.')

Forget fancy galleries. Check out student art shows at local art schools/colleges.

Now if only there were something for young writers...

1 comments:

annie said...

Thank you! So glad you like it.