Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Talk about early indoctrination

A man from Elizabethton, TN -- which is not far from Johnson city, TN, another town most people have never heard of -- went against his wife's wishes and named their newborn daughter Sarah McCain Palin. The obvious joke, that even your average bland AP reporters have already picked up on, is that this might not exactly help their marriage -- the headline was "Cause for divorce?..." But what bothers me more is the reasoning Mark Ciptak gave when asked why he named his daughter for the GOP candidates.

Ciptak, a blood bank employee for the American Red Cross, said he named his third child after John McCain and Sarah Palin to “to get the word out” about the campaign.

“I took one for the cause,” he said. “I can’t give a lot of financial support for the (McCain/Palin) campaign. I do have a sign up in my yard, but I can do very little.”
Really? You wanted to get the word out? Get the word out on what? Their names? Do you really think there is anyone left in America right now who doesn't already know the NAMES of the Republican nominees for President and Vice President, who's somehow gonna hear about your* kid? With reasoning like that, I'm not surprised you're voting for those two.

I feel worst for the kid though. Because if current polling trends turn out to be accurate, she'll have a hard time escaping the loser nickname in elementary school.

* edit update: I made a you're/your gaffe! this is what I get for not proofing these before I post!

3 comments:

Walt said...

I and my child, Admiral Dan Quayle Stockdale, see no problem with this.

annie said...

Little Charles Wilkie McNary well remembers how young Franklin Roosevelt fans used to taunt him on the playground.

kgwhit said...

Johnson City is a thriving metropolis of some 55,000 folks. I would suspect that with a population of 7 times that of Wasilla, the mayor is 7 times more qualified than Palin.