Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sniffle


Got a cold? Don't reach for the Zicam. Apparently it can destroy your sense of smell. The FDA has warned people against using products such as Zicam Cold Remedy Nasal Gel, Zicam Cold Remedy Nasal Swabs, and Zicam Cold Remedy Swabs Kids' Size. (The kids' products have already been discontinued, but people might still have them in their medicine cabinets.) Matrixx Initiatives, the company that makes Zicam, has received a warning letter saying that they "must provide FDA with a plan on how it will remove existing inventory from the marketplace."

Sinus pressure vs. legal pressure, I guess.

Super scary, though. Having a cold and being unable to breathe properly sucks, but I also don't want to give up the smell of birthday cake/the ocean/oranges/gasoline/pretty much anything. I'll be sticking with the Mucinex for now, thanks.

1 comments:

couponqueen said...

I've never used Zicam before but Mucinex is definitely one of my go-to medicines. It does a great job of loosening up the stuff in my throat and enabling me to breathe, even when my congestion is out of control.
http://www.overstockdrugstore.com/products/mucinex-dm-expectorant-and-cough-suppressant-%252d-tablets-40-each.html